Sunday 1 July 2012

Week 3 - being a salt shaker

The third visit to The Station has raised a number of issues for me:-

  • A number of mums/grandparents have visited The Station with children but sat back and watched the children take part in the activities. Is this because the activity is too child like? Is it because the adults are too embarassed to take part or uncomfortable about responding to the activity? Is it because the adults can't connect to the activities?
  • Although I have tried to encourage conversations about the activities I feel that I now need to go one step further in helping participants explore their thoughts, feelings and responses to the activity and to God. I need to be more involved in order that others too can be more involved.
God is involved in our lives. He is interested in what we do, say and the way that we behave. He cares.

In Colossians Chapter 4 it says "Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains.  Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should. Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity.  Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone."

I think that I need to sprinkle more salt in my conversations with the people using The Station. Finding ways of connecting with those who have little or no experience of church is a challenge but essential; not making assumptions, being loving and non-judgemental whilst at the same time pointing them way towards God.









No comments:

Post a Comment